Washington and Lee University, 1974 – 1976
West Virginia University, B.A., Political Science, 1978
West Virginia University College of Law, J.D., 1981
- Trial law practice since 1981 that has extended to almost every county in West Virginia.
- Completed over 100 jury trials and numerous other bench trials and magistrate court trials.
- Cases taken to verdict include medical malpractice, environmental torts, numerous types of personal injury cases, commercial litigation, construction litigation, defense of product liability claims, and all manner of insurance lawsuits.
- AV rating from Martindale Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America for commercial litigation and mediation
- Super Lawyers for mediation and commercial litigation
- Inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers 2007.
- Member of the highly selective Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel from 2007-2014.
- Recognized as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation and the West Virginia Bar Foundation, both based upon similar high standards.
Mediator Training and Experience
- Conducting mediations since 2000 in West Virginia and western Virginia.
- Selected Speeches and Seminars presented on mediation topics;
- Debated in favor of the advocate’s opening statement against another established local mediator at the West Virginia State Bar Advanced Mediation seminar of August 19, 2008
- Panelist for the discussion Ethical Considerations in Mediation, the West Virginia State Bar Advanced Mediation seminar of August 19, 2008
- Mediation Hot Topics, 2008 West Virginia State Bar Annual Meeting
- Mediation Ethics, Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel in Hawaii, February, 2010
- Effective Advocacy Within Mediation, MedMarc Insurance Company’s Annual Medical Device Conference in Charleston, South Carolina, June 2010.
- Mediation Advocacy presentation to West Virginia Defense Trial Counsel Products Liability Section, May 2011
Sample of Mediation-related Publications:
- Effective Advocacy Within Mediation, DRI For the Defense Magazine, April 2013, http://hicksresolutions.com/advocacy-in-mediation
- Early Dispute Resolution for Businesses, The West Virginia Executive, March, 2013, http://hicksresolutions.com/wvexecutive
- 2013 May FTD – The Art of the Opening Statement
Business, Trade and Professional Associations
- American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution
- American College of Trial Lawyers Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee
- Defense Research Institute Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee
- National Bar Association
- Mountain State Bar Association.